Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Still Alive.....I think??

It has been a week.  As Heather said, it has been BEAUTIFUL and my whole family has been stuck indoors with one of the worst cases of gambu we have EVER had!  With the duration and how hard it has hit we are pretty sure it is the FLU (yuck). 

Instead of hiking, biking, spending time outdoors this weekend we were doing this:
 Poor, poor Indiana.  It always hits her the worst!

Having and asthmatic child is such a scary thing.  They can go from a slight cough to an ambulance trip over night.  Speaking from experience.  It seems that EVERY bug she gets, goes straight to her lungs and she is stuck with her nebulizer for a week.  She is such a good sport.  

You know a kid's asthmatic when they can sleep through a breathing treatment.  Poor girl!  

We still have not gotten her allergies tested, something we really should do.  Ever since her stay at the hospital she is not too fond of doctors; so it has been hard enough to get her in when she is sick let alone for testing.  

We have always been told it was due to her being intubated at birth as asthma is common in premature babies that were intubated (A subject that could be an entire week of blog posts for me).  Only a family friend that has a practice suggested allergy testing.  Which is not too bad of an idea.  We will never truly know unless we test her.   

This is where my "week's blog post" would come in.  I will try to sum it up ;).  I try to not to play the  blame game with my doctor.  I try not to blame him for flat out ignoring my signs of preeclampsia or telling me moms don't get it with their second pregnancy or coming in after delivery (7 weeks early) and saying...."you weren't supposed to do that" as if everything that just happened was laughable.  But I would be lying if I told you I didn't think about it EVERYTIME my daughter has a hard time breathing.  

The blame game can always come full circle and I could blame myself.  Blame myself for not pushing for what I KNEW was happening to be recognized....for letting my lack of medical knowledge make me feel like I should discredit my own body knowledge. 

I will just finish with this.........ALWAYS trust your own intuition.  When you feel something is wrong, it probably is; and make sure you have an OB that REALLY listens to you.  I can not stress the importance of those two things.   

Enough about my crummy weekend......I hope all of you Utah'ns enjoyed your beautiful weekend!  

Spring is on the horizon and there are many more beautiful weekends to come!

I WILL be better for the next one ;).



1 comment:

  1. Jody, I am so sorry to hear that your family has been so sick. It sounds absolutely miserable at your home right now. I am especially saddened to hear about your daughter, and her problems with asthma. I too have a daughter with asthma and have had her hospitalized twice for 3 days each time. We almost lost her both of those times. That was before she had been officially diagnosed with having asthma. Since her diagnosis, and after seeing an allergist, she has been well controlled. It's been two years now. I highly recommend you get Indiana tested for allergies. It will make such a difference. Now we know what her triggers are, and have her on the proper medicine. Best of luck to all of you!

    ReplyDelete