Sunday, April 15, 2012

2 Weeks Already!

Just 2 weeks and 12 hours ago, this was what I saw when I looked down:

Then, 12 hours later, this is what I got to see:




Our sweet and handsome little boy was born on April 1st!
He weighed in at 9 pounds 1 ounce and was 22 inches long.  Quite the big little guy!

It was a good thing that he was born 9 days early.  A few weeks before he was born, my OB started to be concerned by his size.  She was thinking he would be big (as did I).  So, I had an ultrasound done to see how big he was, so that we could decide if I should be induced.  The ultrasound doctor told us that the baby was only in the 56th percentile....So very wrong!!  In fact, the little guy's height is in the 99th percentile! 

While modern technology didn't help the ultrasound doctor any, I have to say "Thank goodness for modern medicine!"  As you have probably already figured out by now, if something "rare" is going to happen, it typically happens to me/us.  In this circumstance, my delivery was complicated when my little one had Shoulder Dystocia.  This is basically where after the baby's head is delivered, the shoulders aren't able to pass through.  Yep.  Life threatening emergency that happens in about 1% of deliveries.  Thank the Lord, the doctor took quick action and was able to maneuver the baby in such a way that he was able to be delivered.  I won't go into any gruesome details, but I will say that it was very scary and very painful.  We are just SO very grateful that our little guy made it through okay and didn't have any injuries or nerve damage!  We were so blessed.

I think this picture may be just a little bit skewed by the angle it was taken, but you can see what a good size he was:



We are so excited to have him here.  He has the sweetest little personality.  The past 2 weeks have been a little bit foggy.  But, it has been so nice to just love on him.




Proud Sister:




I really can't believe that it has already been 2 weeks.  I keep telling myself to "just enjoy this time....savor it....cherish it."  I know that this newborn stage will be gone in a flash.  Good heck, I can't believe that M turned 4 years old this week!  While I was nursing my little guy in the middle of the night, the thought of how quickly I know their childhood will go for me, brought tears to my eyes.  My prayer is that I will be the best mother possible for both of my little ones and that they will simply be happy.  When I look at the two of them together, my heart is filled with joy and pride.  I am so blessed.  So fortunate.

Shoulder Dystocia, shoulder dystocia, shoulder dystocia at birth, shoulder dystocia complication, shoulder dystocia birth complication, shoulder dystocia, complications with large baby, delivery complications, large baby delivery complication, large baby, big baby complication, big baby deliver complication, shoulder dystocia, large baby delivery, big baby delivery, big baby delivery, shoulder dystocia, Shoulder Dystocia compication, big baby delivery complications, possible complications with large baby, possible delivery complication with big baby deliver, Shoulder Dystocia, Shoulder Dystocia










1 comment:

  1. Oh Heather, you got me teary eyed with this post. You are the sweetest mommy. I am so glad that your little one arrived safely. Sounds like the delivery got pretty scary, but thank goodness you had a great doctor, and I'm sure some awesome meds. I need to come and visit you and meet your little guy. I am so happy for you my dear friend. I loved viewing all of these pictures. Dang, you and your man make some darling children.

    ReplyDelete