Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Harvest Time

We had A LOT of ripe tomatoes, jalapeno peppers and Anaheim peppers in our garden.  Because it looks like frost is just around the corner, we decided that it was time to make some salsa!


A little of this, a little of that and a handy (and very willing) assistant.
We were canning salsa like pro's!




It turned out delicious!

Canning reminds me of my childhood.  It seems like when I was younger most women still canned vegis, jams, pickles....My mom used to make jam this time of year.  Then it seems like it became something of the past.  Just easier to buy from the grocery store.  Doesn't it seem like with the current economy more people are growing their own gardens and canning, again? 

I'll be the first to admit that as we were pouring salsa into jars to boil I found myself wondering if it was all worth it.  It is always more work than you remember.  But, in the end, very much worth the effort.  I'm really loving this salsa recipe and we have an entire years' supply!

Jelly is next up this week.

Canning, canned salsa, canned salsa, canning, canned salsa, canning tomatoes, canning salsa, canned salsa

1 comment:

  1. You are my hero's. I have never taken on something like that. Your salsa looks delicious! What a darling assistant you had. So cute!

    ReplyDelete