Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Story


I can't believe that October has come and gone already!
Would it sound weird to say that I'm still wanting an extra summer day?  Serious. 
I saw Christmas decorations out at stores a few days ago.  I am NOT ready for that!

Speaking of decorations, check out my killer Halloween decorations (score!):

 

Jody thinks the story behind its' acquisition belongs on reality TV....a Real Housewives of Salt Lake City.  Haha.  I still think I just wasn't explaining things to her right.   At least she didn't liken it to Honey Boo Boo! 

Tell me what you think.  Here's the story:

When we moved into our new home and met our next door neighbor, she told me how Halloween was her absolute very favorite holiday and she goes "all out" with spooky decorations and a big neighborhood soup party before trick-or-treating every year.  I told her that I love Halloween, too, but she just went right on with how much it really means to her.  It is HER deal.....keep in mind that was in April.  We heard about the Halloween decorations at least once a month after that.

So, toward the end of September when I was deciding if I should decorate my window boxes "spooky" or just keep it "fall-esque", the hubby and I started thinking about how we wanted to decorate our new house.  We both have fun at Halloween and wanted to have some cool decorations.  We pulled out our old decorations and discovered that we must have a box buried under building supplies somewhere, because we couldn't find my sweet Halloween wreath (I WILL have it up next year) and some of our standbys.  We decided that we would have to buy something this year and looked at this great boutique by our house.

While we were there we saw some really neat spiders and decided that it would be fun and easy to build on an arachnophobia theme each year.  Just when we were deciding between a large brown recluse and something with a neon stripe, it occurred to me that maybe we should keep things tame because I had noticed that the neighbors' house wasn't looking as decked out as I was thinking it would.  She had put up some life-sized ghouls and ghosts and a spider on her front porch.  But, it was far from what we had expected (it was quite the let down).  I told the hubby that maybe we should wait to see if she was going to put anything more up, because I did not want to steal her thunder.  He thought I was crazy, but obliged.  We put a few purple lights and leaf garland up and waited.

Here comes my Real Housewives moment.  Jody and I just happened to be talking to each other on the day and time that I decided that waiting to see if my neighbor was going to put up more decorations was absolutely ridiculous.  It went something like this:  Who cares, right?  She doesn't own Halloween....I can love Halloween, too.....And, we can decorate our house however we like....it would be crazy for us to NOT decorate because we thought her decorations were just okay.....AND, hey why can't I have a cool Halloween house?  In fact, I'm going to buy the really awesome spider that is on a motion detector and lunges downward when someone walks by!....Oh, I can decorate cool alright!

The price of the spider on a motion detector held me back and I ended up leaving the boutique without anything.....again. 

At this moment I feel like I have to say that I was very sick and so very tired.  That's my excuse for even going there with the Halloween decorations.  :)

I let that spider lie and moved on.....until we saw this beauty:


When Jody and I took the girls to Gardners Village we saw it for sale at Celebrations (GREAT store!).  I was sure its' price would keep me from it, but not only did it fit into our Halloween budget, it was 25% off!  THEN, I found the huge web at another store just before we left.  It was up the next day!

I have absolutely loved that the house looks really decorated and it's only two things!  We put it over the top with lots of spider webs through the front yard, a few smaller spiders and a black crow stuck in the web.  Haha.  I liked that touch by the husband.

I agreed with Jody and thought I had to have been having some sort of RH moment when I started talking about neighbors and decorations.  That would be so "Keeping up with the Jones", right?  And, truly once I got a little sleep I laughed thinking that I would think our neighbor would even care about it one way or the other.........

Yeah, you guessed it.  We are pretty sure that our little arachnid house peeved our neighbor.  She would not say a word about our big spider.  Even when her daughter kept telling her how cool it was.  Tight lipped.  Oh, boy. 

So, now we will have to decide if we build on it next year, or wait to see what the neighbor does.  :)

ANYWHO, Halloween was great.  Always is!  We hit our friend's annual chili party and then went trick-or-treating with new friends......including the woman we bought our new house from!  CRAZY!  I'll have to blog on that next week. 

 
M was Cinderella, C was a lion and I was a lion tamer.
 



The husband was....well....hot?  haha.  He really WAS hot.  He had planned a great spooky costume for Utah fall weather.  Then, we broke records at 75 degrees.  UGH!

I have to point out that the black mark on my little lions face is some of hubby's makeup.  NOT a bruise. 

Hope you guys had fun, too! 
What do you think about my Spider story?

Real housewives, real housewives of Salt Lake, Salt Lake housewives, real housewives of salt lake, housewives, spider decoration, large spider decoration, giant spider decoration, large spider decoration, giant spider house decoration, large black spider decoration, lion tamer costume, lion costume, Cinderella costume, lion tamer costume, lion tamer costume, lion tamer costume, lion tamer costume, real housewives, real housewives salt lake, lion tamer costume







1 comment:

  1. That's a very funny story Heather. Your house looks terrific! I also enjoyed all of the pictures of your beautiful family. I love that you and your hubby get dressed up too! You guys are simply awesome!

    ReplyDelete